Monday, March 21, 2011

Build Our Own Foster Family Tree Together

Way back when a friend and I were talking about how there were support groups for everything under the sun, but none for foster children or foster care alumni. She got the ball rolling found some other former foster kids and we started a small support group and a Foster Care Alumni Association in Michigan. We met for a while at The Church of Today and at each other’s homes. I became a new mom and fell away from the group as I got drawn in to my new role of a mother.

But all along, though the pregnancies, carpools, school concerts and gym meets my heart always leads me back to my foster kin. My foster brothers and sisters especially the young ones who find themselves lost and alone in the world. Anxious and frightened about just who they are and how they are going to make it in a world, who I am kidding I still feel that way sometimes, Just not quite as much as I used to. I have always wanted to reach out and interact with them.

Since I have been blogging I have come a crossed some really neat former fosters / foster care alumni, and when I read about some of our common struggles about how overwhelming and confusing the little things that other people take for granted I think wouldn’t it be great if we had some place we could go that would be totally positive and supportive? A place where we could ask others how they dealt with this or that or where we could get compassionate advice or encouragement? Wouldn’t that be cool?

And since I haven’t come a crossed that place in blog land yet. I thought we should build our own Foster Family Tree site together. What do Ya’ll say?

 
Powered by Blogger