Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It Was Bound To Happen, She Said “I Wish You Were Dead”

Her little sisters have been asking if I was going to die or why I’m not dead yet.

Yep, I knew they got that from somewhere.

I knew it was coming and Sunday it did.

“I wish you were dead!” She said.

I said, “Be careful little girl, you never what can happen in life. You never want to have to live with knowing that those were the last words you said to anyone. This I know firsthand.”

“Well that wasn’t your fault, saying that didn’t make that kid get hit by a car, you were just a kid yourself.”

“I was your age…almost exactly. And I still feel awful about it all of these years later, I never want you to have to live with that kind of guilt.”

And with tears in her eyes she looks up at me and she says,

“Can you take me shopping to look for some shoes?”

“No. If I were dead I couldn’t buy you shoes. I couldn’t load the dishwasher either, so you can go do that right now. Waking me up in the middle of the night to go get you water, that ends today too!”

 
Powered by Blogger