Monday, October 18, 2010

Flying The Bird


I always say “I toss small children around for a living.”  I think that is an excellent description of what I do.  Although sometimes they are not so small, as a matter of fact some of the kids I coach are much bigger than I am. 
 
Everyday is interesting and the work is fast paced, dare I say most days it is fun to go to work, how many people can say that?  Coaching has it’d draw backs though, mostly the pain.  I am old.
 
My neck, my shoulder, my back, my knees, I have golfers elbow in one elbow, tennis elbow in the other, and  I don't do either.  Once I get home and sit down, I will do anything to avoid getting back up and looking like Fred Sanford “I’m coming for ya ‘Lizbeth” Yes, I am old.
Teaching Fundamental Gymnastics Skills

Inevitably when you do what we do, you get kicked by some poor kid, in the jaw, in the gut, in the nose; you name it I have been kick there.  And inevitably they are horrified, they start crying.  Being grown up you have to suck in your breath, fight back the tears and comfort your assailant.  We all do it.  God knows you don’t want to traumatize the poor kid.  I know coaches who have done this with gashed lips that required stitches, broken noises and broken fingers, it is what we do. After all, we are there for the kids. 
 
Yesterday I was spotting a tiny kid who really has her back-hand-spring she needs just a little more confidence; I just had my hand lightly on her back for reassurance.  Wouldn’t you know it on the 3rd time she flopped when she should have flipped, right on my middle finger?  It hurt a bit so I ignored it, that’s just what we do.
 
My middle finger was sore all night, but not bad.  I woke up a couple of times during the night and it hurt worse each time.  By the time I woke up it was pretty swollen and I couldn’t bend it.  I asked my dear husband if he thought I should go get it x-rayed, he thought I should just toughen up; he has played sports all his life yada, yada, yada.  I waited a couple of hours while it continued to swell.  Then I headed to urgent care.
 
I drove there secretly hoping somebody would cut me off, my right middle finger stuck in the appropriate gesture and all. 

Now, I was feeling a little foolish, walking in, flying the bird and signing in for what I was sure was a jammed finger. 
 
BirdAs he was checking the images the X-ray tech pops his head out and says “Now where does it hurt again, I just want to make sure we are looking at the right thing.” 

I flip him the bird and point, right there.  “I don’t think it is broken, I just don’t want to mess it up worse if it is and I ignore it.” I say. 

He laughs.
 
The doctor comes in and says “Your finger is not broken but your wrist is, do you remember hurting it?” 
 
“Yeah, about 2 months ago it has hurt ever since, but...not as bad as my finger, so I ignored it."

Because I am tough, I am old and that is just what we do.

5 Comments:

J. Marie Jameson said...

This is funny... I mean, it's not funny, but it is. :) Hope you heal up soon!

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Seriously! I thought it was hilarious. (My boss taped my middle finger to my ring finger so I could work tonight, instead of taping my middle one straight, probably for the best.)

momwithbrownies said...

LOL So had your wrist healed in the correct alignment? This is just too funny!

I'm in metro-Detroit. We're looking to sign our kids up for gymnastics. My hubby and I were too tall for it growing up but our 3 young sons are tight and compact. I think they'd love it and do well. :o)

If you're still living and coaching in Michigan, give me a shout, okay? You can use the Contact Me button on my blog. :o)

Anonymous said...

OMGosh Sunday...you are hysterical! How funny...I can't stop laughing...oops guess you really can use a helmet! I love the way you write...you tell it like it is...in such a funny way, its like we were there with you! Great stuff...keep it coming!!! Hope your finger is better...lol!

Rita Brennan Freay
@Rita4kids
ritabrennanfreay.com

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Haha Rita, it really is a great job, besides how many other people get to work bare-foot and in yoga pants?

 
Powered by Blogger