Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tradition, Honor and Remembrance

Yesterday Mr. Sunday the kids and I made our yearly pilgrimage an hour and a half away to my parents’ home town for the Memorial Day parade.

001

(That is not us or our kids.)

My mom went there when my grandparents adopted her at 12.

041

Memorial Day is a loaded Holliday.

039

My grandparents’ daughter, my aunt drowned in a swimming hole on Memorial Day weekend.

045

They adopted my mother and her sister soon after.

053

I remember sitting in my mother’s parent’s yard and watching my father’s father march in the parade with the other WWII vets.

058

There aren’t many left now.

059

I started taking my daughter down to watch the parade the year before my grandpa passed. He had moved down south many years before.

066

We go to catch a glimpse of small town life.

069

We go because it is our tradition.

079

We go to remember our history.

082

We go to honor those men and women who have sacrificed so much for their idea of the American dream.

080

We go so they know we care.

074

We go because their sacrifices are important.

099

106

092

108

117129

115

 
Powered by Blogger