Sunday, December 12, 2010

Princess CoCo

I have been a very naughty blogger!  If I’m lucky I might get a little spanky, LOL.

I have been a slave to Princess CoCo of the Pee-Pot and her porcelain throne!

First we get MRI results, and then she commences to decide to finally learn to crawl (after walking) at almost 3 years old. Now this…

The other day she says “I have to go potty.”
“Oh yeah...I’ll be there in a minute”  
“No, RIGHT NOW” (yep she learned that phrase from me.  I end every statement to her 12 year-old sister with… “Right Now”)
Ok, I drop what I am doing and I kid you not, I put that kid on the potty and she pees!
About an hour latter she says “I have to pee” and again…she does.

Now I don’t know if this happens with anyone else’s kids but with mine it happens like clock work.  First comes the whining, irritated, and generally needy kid.  Then comes the emergence of regression in behavior, I was sure we were well beyond, me wanting to pull my hair out, and wondering WTF is going on with my poor kid.  Around the time I think I am about to lose my patience I think “This always happens before a break through, I wonder what developmental, emotional, or intellectual leap this kid is about to make.”

Now maybe that is just a mental game I play with myself to keep myself from setting my hair on fire and putting it out with a sledge hammer, or running away from home to join the circus (I have one hell of a high wire act), but it works.  I steel my resolve to get this kid over what ever whatever proverbial hump they are facing.

A good 2 or 3 days into childhood insanity, it happens…they walk, they crawl, say their first words, they get a back-walk-over on the high beam, they get an A on their algebra test.

I don’t know why this happens, but in my experience it always does.  Maybe the brain can only handle so much.  But in a few days I get my old kid back and I am glad I didn’t runaway, or bash my own head in.  

If you see me in the next few days it is safe to assume I will be wearing Princess CoCo of Piss-Pot on my hip, in the sling that I thought I had put away for good.  But her pants will be dry…so it’s all good.

10 Comments:

Von said...

Good luck!!!

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Thanks Von, we had a false start last week and now all of the sudden she is getting it, but has now decided she WILL NOT WALK anywhere. Ugh!

Unknown said...

I have never thought about it that way. Maybe if I start looking at it that way I won't feel so nutso all the time !:)

Amy Houghtalin said...

YEAH Coco!!! Anybody know a Chiropractor who does charity work for Sundays hips???? XOXOO

Kim Watt said...

Yeah Coco!!!

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Amy- not funny, my back is killing me, thanks for bringing me the heating pad!

Cathy, I absolutely loved your post yesterday!

Anything to keep mommy sane is a good thing. LOL!

Kim, The universe works in mysterious ways; it is all on how you look at things. She has made more developmental progress in the last month since she has been diagnosed than she has in the past year.

Jean Mercer said...

Forgive me for commenting without having read the whole blog, but I just want to agree with your insight that often a real breakthrough follows a difficult period. It may make more sense to think of that period of difficulty as disorganization rather than "regression" because it's not really like earlier behavior. It's certainly true of infants that a lot of crying or fretting may be the signal that the baby is about to start to crawl or do something else that's new, and things can work that way for older kids too. Understanding this can make for a good way for parents to reframe a time of behavior that's hard to cope with.

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

@ Jean Mercer, thank you for your input I can always entertain an expert opinion and all of the help I can get. Some one must have told me that along the way, remembering that keeps me from going totally batty! So true or not that is my story and I’m sticking to it!


(Jeans is the author Child Development: Myths and Misunderstandings and Understanding Attachment: Parenting, Child Care, and Emotional Development. She blogs at Child Myths. www.childmyths.blogspot.com)

Unknown said...

I lvoe that idea, that before a new devolopment they get needy and regress. you're so right. We've been struggling with sweet pea lately. It's easier to deal with if I think of it like that.

 
Powered by Blogger